When did you first get into music? What or who Inspired you?
I’ve always been involved in music in some way, usually as part of a band or choir. I recently decided to go solo to explore complete creative freedom and independence and I’m loving it!
Who did you grow up listening to, and does that impact on what you create now?
My music is wistful, thoughtful, a bit mournful and melancholy sometimes, and I am very much influenced by storytellers – artists like Dolly Parton, Tim Buckley, Johnny Cash, Laura Marling.
How long have you been playing/writing?
I’ve been writing and performing for over 10 years. I don’t read or write music or play an instrument so the creative process is an interesting one and I have developed my own way of working over the years.
Usually a lyric and the beginning of a melody will go round and round my head for ages, and then the rest of the song will suddenly come together all at once. Once I have the lyrics, melody, structure and rhythm I build up the music in my head – I can hear the riffs, the harmonies – and then work with friends and session musicians to bring the ideas to life in the studio and on the stage.
How often do you play live (include details and links for any upcoming gigs)?
There are some fantastic venues in London and I’m in the middle of planning a series of shows so stay tuned!
I’m also very excited about the launch party for my debut solo EP Science on Friday (11 March) at a gorgeous, intimate venue called Tea House Theatre in Vauxhall.
Find out more on my website – www.rachelmyall.com
Home page of Rachel Myall, a songwriter artist from London. London-based indie folk singer/songwriter combining wistful vocals with strings, piano, percussion and the …
What has been your favourite moment in music?
Oh that is a big question! And the first answer that pops into my head is very cliché but Adele’s performance of Someone Like You at the Brits a few years ago stopped me in my tracks.
Where is the best place to find you online?
- Join my mailing list for the latest news – www.rachelmyall.com
- Follow me on Twitter for musical musings @rmyallmusic
- Like my Facebook page for updates on events and releases – www.facebook.com/rachelmyallmusic
- Follow me on Instagram for ‘behind the scenes’ action – https://www.instagram.com/rachelmyallmusic/
- Check out my SoundCloud page for more tunes – https://soundcloud.com/rachelmyall
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel for the latest music videos – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLoRSmEsd6lORxWaOlHWbcg