1 – When did you first get into music? What or who Inspired you?
– So long ago! – I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t quite obsessively into music! Music itself, and all the best people who make it, or even just enjoy it and enthuse about it, were and are very inspiring to me….
2 – Who did you grow up listening to, and does that impact on what you create now?
– All my family, and most of my friends for that matter, are big music fans. My Dad’s really into the old Blues guys, as well as stuff like The Who and Nick Cave. My Mum has rather ‘poppier’ tastes – Blur, Beatles, even things like Maroon5 and so on. My brother (James) is more ‘garage rock’ inclined – The Stooges, MC5, Black Sabbath too. It all feeds in – good songwriting and good music is important and valuable wherever you find it! For myself, growing up, it was stuff like Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Rage Against the Machine… and then particularly Oasis, I suppose. But loads of stuff has fed in – Townes Van Zandt, Eminem, Martin Carthy… even Rogers and Hammerstein. Lana Del Reys a favourite of mine at the moment. I really want to be making good popular Rock Music – with plenty of Hooks and Tunes – cos I don’t think I’ve been hearing enough of it, not since the likes of Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian, and I reckon there is a bit of a craving for this kind of thing out there – and it’s what I like to do, and Righteous Reprobates can do pretty well, I reckon!
3 – How long have you been playing/writing?
– Again, this would be from childhood, really… And it’s all been building up to this, what Righteous Reprobates are still at the fairly early stages of doing now! – in terms of being public and professional about it: the debut album should be coming out quite early in 2016, and I’m very happy with it (particularly since Mastering at Abbey Road Studios), and excited about it all and looking forward to getting on with everything – as well and as fast as possible!
4 – How often do you play live (include details and links for any upcoming gigs)?
– I’d love to be out and gigging quite a lot, but this is something we’re still in the process of sorting out, just at the moment… Hopefully there will be some gigs in London and in Kent (particularly the Maidstone area, probably), in the fairly near future. You can watch us playing live in Perry Vale Studios on YouTube – and we’re definitely ready and raring to go! And if anyone reading this can offer us any tempting slots, then please do!
5 – What has been your favourite moment in music?
– Probably leaving Abbey Road Studios with the completed Mastering of the Album, in terms of Righteous Reprobates and our music: that and the excitement of hearing it all coming together so well when rehearsing the songs with the other guys in the Band – the confirmation that I really have now found just the right people to be working with, and all the great stuff that they ‘bring to the party’, as it were.
– As a ‘punter’ and obsessive music fan… there are so many! Hearing things like “Smells Like Teen Spirit” or “Live Forever” for the first time, or discovering Townes Van Zandt. Royal Blood at The Electric Ballroom last year was a pretty damn good show… but, like I say, there are so many.
6 – Where is the best place to find you online?
– Our first single ‘My Psychosis’ should be available from all the usual obvious places, from Dec 7th, and you can watch us performing it on YouTube. There’s our home base RighteousReprobates.com and the Facebook page but our presence around the Internet generally seems to be developing nicely at the moment… Actually, just the other day AnnieJ played the single on her show on EGH Radio – and I was pleased to hear her say she thought it was “absolutely brilliant”! Cheers, Annie!