1 – When did you first get into music? What or who Inspired you?
- I can’t explain it but I could just write music from an early age without any guidance or instrumental ability. I’d constantly make up little songs or jingles and get my brother and cousins to sing different parts. Then when I was 11 I got a Casio keyboard for Christmas and my dad taught me a few chords. By that evening I had written my first proper song and performed it to my mum and nan. I then got the bug and wrote around 500 songs between the age of 11 and 19.
2 – Who did you grow up listening to, and does that impact on what you create now?
- My parents always had 60s and 70s music playing when I was growing up. I remember Queen being played a lot. It was a very musical household. My songwriting has always been influenced by songs rather than artists. So when I heard ‘Roll With It’ by Oasis on Top of the Pops I remember picking up my guitar right away and wanting to write a song like that. That’s still my songwriting process now. When I heard ‘Love Me Like You Do’ by Ellie Goulding I went straight to my guitar to write a song. It’s quite an inspiring process for me.
3 – How long have you been playing/writing?
- I have been writing songs since I was 11, so that’s about 24 years now. I learnt to play the keyboard when I was 11 and then the guitar when I was 15. I also dabbled with the saxophone and cello in my late teens.
4 – How often do you play live (include details and links for any upcoming gigs)?
- Playing live for any artist in this modern music era is so important to build a fanbase. So I’m trying to get out and perform live as often as I can – I aim for an open-mic night per month and a pre-booked gig per month. I would love to do much more! I’m playing at The Bedford in Balham, South London on Monday 18 May. I’m really looking forward to that one as it’s somewhere I’ve always wanted to play given the calibre of musicians who have performed there before they were famous.
5 – What has been your favourite moment in music?
- In 2012 I signed a publishing deal with Broken Music Publishing. I did a couple of dance remixes for an American artist called Electron Love Theory. I think getting an email from the publishing company saying that my remix (so my first ever release) had been playlisted on over 60 dance radio stations and clubs worldwide was a stand out moment for me.
6 – Where is the best place to find you online?