1. When did you first get into music? What or who Inspired you?
I first got into singing when I was 4 when I won a “Kids From Fame” competition at nursery (showing my age)! My first influence is Rob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty – he’s one of the cleverest lyricists I’ve heard and it pushes me as a songwriter not to be so cliche. My other influence is Nerina Pallot because she’s an exceptionally talented female singer/songwriter who is not incredibly famous but still “does her thing” and does it successfully. When I saw her live for the first time that’s when I decided I wanted to do that!
2. Who did you grow up listening to, and does that impact on what you create now?
I grew up listening to eighties music but was introduced to sixties and seventies by my parents. I fell in love with The Beatles. The only way it impacts on my music is that I am totally obsessed with harmonies. I’m always harmonising to music I hear on the radio and always think, the more harmonies the better!
3. How long have you been playing/writing?
I’ve been songwriting since I was 12 when I had a holiday romance (in my head) and was devastated that I had to come home. That’s when I wrote my first song entitled “I Miss You Now”. I’ve been performing my own songs for about 10 years on and off; solo, in a duo and also now with my amazing band.
4. How often do you play live (include details and links for any upcoming gigs)?
I try to perform as often as I can, especially around London, to get my songs heard by more and more people. My next gig (which is an important one) is my EP launch party on Wednesday 1st October 2014 – more details here www.laurenrichmusic.co.uk/gigs
5. What has been your favourite moment in music?
My favourite moment HAS to be when I was interviewed by Gaby Roslin at BBC London. It was my first proper radio interview / performance and she said my singing was beautiful. That was a mega boost for me.
6. Where is the best place to find you online?I’m everywhere but if you go straight to my website – www.laurenrichmusic.co.uk – you will find all of my social media links AND the ability to join my mailing list, which would be lovely if people signed up to it.